The lamp COSMO, designed by Frankfurt based designer Kai Linke, plays with the contrasts.
The contrast between transparency and opacity becomes visible when switching on the light. Switched off the lamp is an opaque silver object, reflecting the surroundings on the irregular
outer surface – switched on it transforms into a transparent, crystalline form, in which the lamp is exposed like in a mirror cabinet. Numerous light reflections become visible.
Furthermore COSMO has the appearance of an elegant chandelier and at the same time the lightness of a lampion.
The foil material appears sketchy, its faceted form though reminds you of the sparkling a smoothed jewel.
COSMO is made of a thin silver coated foil. Due to its surprising lightness it can be used wherever
a chandelier would be to heavy. It perfectly integrates itself into different surroundings and fits well into a contemporary living context.
The COSMO lamps are handmade by a workshop for handicapped people in Germany.
- material: Metallframe with μ-thin mirror foil, 3 m silver textil cabel
- measurements: H 37 cm, Ø 34 cm
- weight: lampshade 104 g / total (incl. bulb and cable 346 g)
- colours: unlighted: cosmo is silver mirrored, lighted: transparent
- design: Kai Linke
- realization: C - KL Collektion Kai Linke
- fotos: Marc Krause, Alexander Böhle
- year: 2010
- since 2016 available at dua shop